kimmyandkids -->

Friday, November 25, 2005

My Turkey...


Let me tell you about my Turkey....

This year was my year to host Thanksgiving for the inlaws. I love having people over to entertain but it makes me nervous when I have to feed them. I know that I can cook but when there is 14 people anticipating a good meal sometimes the anxiety can arise. I have only cooked 1 other turkey about 10 years ago and when my dad was carving it he informed me that it wasn't cooked all of the way so needless to say I was very concerned about this one. I decided that I was going to roast it in a covered pan with a recipe that I got from the internet. I had a 16 lb fresh bird that I was going to put into an electric counter top roaster but the bird ended up being too large so the day before Thanksgiving I went shopping for a covered roaster that would accomodate it. I found one at good old Target :) That night I washed the bird and placed it in a bag with a salt water solution to brine it (it is supposed to help keep the moisture in). Thanksgiving morning I washed off the solution and put it in the roaster and brushed on the hearbs and olive oil. I ended up roasting it for almost 5 hours. It was time to move the bird onto the platter. O.M.G. I cooked it so long that it was falling apart. We had to pieve it back together on the plate so that it would somewhat resemble a turkey! All in all, it turned out to be a great tasting, tender and somewgat juicy turkey.

There is never a dull moment here! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home